Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thinking about building a boat

Broad-reaching with Asymmetrical Chute
So why would anyone want to build a boat and more to the point, why would I want to build a boat?

Heck, I did not even know that I was a sailor until well past a reasonable age to learn a new trick. But that's another story.

Anyway, so here I am - 18 years later - usually sailing in the fast lane, finding myself smitten with the idea of building a small nutshell of a sailing dinghy. I know next to nothing about building a wooden boat and other than a couple of years of shop in school - eons ago - I don't really know much about working with wood.

Encounter with Goldberry
Over the past many years of sailing my high-tech 18' racing dinghy, a Johnson 18, I became friends with Garth, a true wood-working artist and artisan who built Goldberry, an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous wooden boat designed by Iain Oughtred. From time to time, our boats would cross paths on Lake Arthur in Moraine State Park. On one occasion I had an opportunity to sail on his boat and like a flash, I remembered the smell, the sound, the feel of my father's wooden 15' dinghy, a Pirat. From time to time I'd wistfully think about building a small little vessel but then would dismiss the thought before it had a chance to become a plan.

As my wife Iris and I perused around the Annapolis Sailboat Show this past season on a perfect fall day, we came across the Chesapeake Light Craft (CLC Boats) booth where they were in the middle of putting together a small pram. I picked up a catalog and... well, put all these things together and I arrived at the conclusion that building my own little boat would be a great winter project after all... I looked at many other companies offering kit boats but in the end came to the conclusion that CLC Boats would be my best choice. After studying the various mouth-watering designs offered, I decided on the lovely lines of the Passagemaker Dinghy, a Norwegian-inspired pram.


This 11'7" lap-strake craft offers a wonderful combination of sailing and rowing and I was definitely attracted by the traditional lug rig option which I chose over the originally designed gunter rig.

Finally, on Dec 13, the kit arrived after many weeks of not-so-patient waiting.

I am hoping to launch the boat in the spring... at any rate, I promised Iris that my 10' x 20' workshop will be converted back to the Bristol-clean sun room it previously was.

This log will chronicle my progress.

According to the manual, it will take 100 work hours to complete construction. I suspect it'll take me a bit longer simply because of my space constraints. Not to worry though, the doorway is large enough for the hull to exit unharmed upon completion.

I'll keep you updated...

No comments:

Post a Comment